This position is located in the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education (DME). The function of this position is to serve as an expert Special Advisor with responsibility for supporting various education policy issues including transportation policy for students. The Special Advisor has authority and responsibility for the successful completion of the projects, as delegated by the supervisor, and develops comprehensive, long-range schedules showing the sequence of tasks, target dates and persons responsible for the various activities for the duration of identified projects (as appropriate).
Background on DME. The DME is responsible for developing and implementing the Mayor's vision for academic excellence and creating a high quality education continuum from birth to 24 (from early childhood to K-12 to post-secondary and the workforce).
The three major functions of the DME include:
- Overseeing a District-wide education strategy
- Managing interagency and cross-sector coordination
- Providing oversight and/or support for all agencies in the Deputy Mayor for Education’s agency cluster including: DC Public Schools (DCPS); Office of the State Superintendent for Education (OSSE); Public Charter School Board (PCSB); University of the District of Columbia (UDC); Community College of the District of Columbia (CCDC); DC Public Libraries (DCPL); and DC Parks and Recreation (DPR).
Duty description. The budget and financial advisor will provide strategic direction, oversight of the annual budget cycle, and contribute to key policy initiatives that relate to budget and finance. The advisor’s specific responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Deputy Mayor and the Mayor’s Budgeting Office to review and coordinate the agencies’ budgets during the annual budget development cycle. This includes working closely with the education cluster agencies to align their budgets with the Mayor’s budgeting priorities and expected revenue.
- Working closely with OSSE, OCFO, PCSB, and other DME staff to develop the sector and LEA specific projections based on the uniform per student funding formula (UPSFF).
- Working closely with DCPS and DGS to review and coordinate the Capital Improvement Plan for DCPS facilities and DPR
- Preparing budgets and other fiscal impact analysis for Council budget hearings and proposed legislation.
- Serving as a liaison to the Mayor’s Budgeting Office, OCFO, and with other DC agencies as necessary.
- Working on specific policy initiatives of the DME that relate to finance and budgeting. In particular, work on the development and implementation of the LEA Payment Initiative, a set of new policies that will ensure that local funding is equitably distributed to LEAs.
- Providing strategic fiscal and budget advice to the Deputy Mayor for Education.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Quantitative skills for financial analysis and policy modeling
- Understanding of accounting principles and experience working in government financial and operational data systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and interest in working with diverse stakeholders—this role serves as liaison to the Mayor’s Budgeting Office and other District agencies.
- Solutions orientation and creative mindset
- Interest in policy, as many (if not all) financial activities involve policy implementation.
- Must have a degree in finance, budget or accounting with a minimum of 4 years work experience.
There is a legal requirement that each new appointee to the Excepted and Executive Service either: (1) be domiciled in the District of Columbia at the time of appointment; or (2) establish District domicile within one hundred eighty (180) days of appointment. The law also requires that Excepted and Executive Service employees maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment. Failure to maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment will result in forfeiture of employment.
**** If interested in this position, please submit your credentials. Letters of endorsement are not required. No calls please. The Mayor's Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA) will review all submissions; only resumes deemed qualified and responsive will forward to the hiring committee. No calls please. ****