This position is located in the Executive Office of the Mayor, Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizens Affairs (MORCA). The Mayor's Office on Returning Citizen Affairs (MORCA) provides useful information for the empowerment of previously incarcerated persons in order to create a productive and supportive environment where persons may thrive, prosper and contribute to the social, political and economic development of self, family, and community.
The Mayor's Office on Returning Citizen Affairs (MORCA) mission is to provide zealous advocacy, high-quality services and products, up-to-date, useful information for the empowerment of previously incarcerated persons in order to create a productive and supportive environment where persons may thrive, prosper and contribute to the social, political and economic development of self, family, and community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in the planning, development and monitoring of operating standards; conducts organization and management analyses of the operations; and prepares and recommends revision to enhance office effectiveness.
- Monitors progress and effectiveness of the assignments and projects.
- Works with the Director to lead engagement and planning activities of the Commission on Reentry and Returning Citizen’s Affairs.
- Provides analytical, operational, and support in maintaining the daily operational functions of the office.
- Identifies and analyzes methods for improving the organizational efficiency and effectiveness of the office.
- Works collaboratively with Director to develop budgets and ensure appropriate fiscal administration.
- Provides direction and guidance, and assures that the work is performed in an efficient and effective manner.
- Resolves operational problems with timely and economical solutions.
- Performs special assignments and analysis, at the request of the Director, which frequently involves matters of a highly confidential nature.
- Prepares reports of findings, and recommends alternative courses of action designed to resolve problems/issues.
- Develops or approves computer and records-processing programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
- Thorough knowledge of the mission, goals, objectives, policies, procedures and regulations of the Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen’s Affairs and the returning citizens community.
- Demonstrated grant management / grant writing experience, including federal and non-profiit funding sources.
- Thorough knowledge of and skill in problem solving to conduct research and analysis; and thorough knowledge of management principles, procedures and techniques of analysis and evaluation.
- Skill in applying analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to conduct research of policy issues, program/operations, and project issues; to review and analyze issues; and to prepare reports and recommendations.
- Ability to implement customer service oriented principles, measures, and improvement strategies.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in providing leadership in a team-based environment.
- Excellent oral and writing communication skills to prepare reports and presentations, proposals, etc. advise on issues; to articulate instructions and directives; and to communicate information and decisions with all interested parties.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree is preferred, with course work from an accredited four year college or university in business management/administration or related field, and four (4) years of work-related skill and knowledge; OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
There is a legal requirement that each new appointee to the Excepted Service either: (1) be domiciled in the District of Columbia at the time of appointment; or (2) establish District domicile within one hundred eighty (180) days of appointment. The law also requires that Excepted Service employees maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment. Failure to maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment will result in forfeiture of employment.