Associate Director for Messaging -- Executive Office of the Mayor
Associate Director for Messaging
Open: November 28, 2022
Close: Open Until Filled
Grade: ES4 ($66,561 - $99,840)
Current District of Columbia residents will receive priority and advanced preference for screening and interviews.
This position is located in the Executive Office of the Mayor, Office of Communications. The office operates as a resource to all government agencies, officials and the media; in facilitating the widest possible dissemination of information to the public. The Messaging Assistant will work with the Messaging Director to ensure seamless strategic and effective communications. The position will assist in developing copy for Executive Office of the Mayor communications.
** This is an excepted service position in the District of Columbia. The selected candidate must be a domicile of the District within 180 days of hire. Strong preference for current DC residents. *****
- Develops and utilizes a variety of communication modalities to inform, involve and engage employees in the Department's mission, values and programs.
- Develops compelling and persuasive material (such as brochures, issue papers, presentations, testimony, articles, web content, audiovisuals, and newsletters) to inform, educate and motivate key decision-makers and the public to understand and support the Department's mission, programs and policies.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Comprehensive knowledge of the mission, goals, policies, strategic plan, and authorizing legislation of the full range of the Department's policies for all of its programs, as well as the Mayor's established and accepted city-wide customer service standards and practices required to effectively, accurately and expeditiously meet agency objectives.
- Mastery of the principles, methods and techniques of effective communications. Mastery of the methods, practices and procedures used in public relations, marketing and research, mass media, advertising, special interest groups, community relations, and government relations, as they relate to large organized projects and initiatives.
- Strong analytical, strategic and creative skills to develop and implement public outreach programs; and skill in developing strategies to disseminate information. Superior ability to manage multiple priorities and fast-paced work.
Experience drafting, writing, and editing press releases, media advisories, statements, scripts, talking points, and remarks
- Superior writing, skills, including developing copy for social media, electronic communications and presented remarks.
- Strong, persuasive, compelling and engaging writing skills, in order to convey information concerning complex programs and functions to publics having diverse levels of understanding of the agency's programs and activities.