Director of Operations - Mayor’s Office of Latino Affairs (MOLA)
OPEN DATE: Thursday, November 9, 2022
CLOSE DATE: Open until filled
SALARY RANGE: Excepted Service, Grade 7 ($85,257 to $97,883))
The Bowser Administration seeks an energetic and qualified candidate to serve as the Director of Operations for the Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs (MOLA) in the Executive Office of the Mayor. The mission of the Mayor's Office on Latino Affairs (MOLA) is to improve the quality of life of the District's Latino residents by addressing a broad range of social and economic needs through strategic management of public and private partnerships, expertise on policy, community relations, civic engagement and community-based grants. NOTE: This is an Excepted Service position which requires residency in the District of Columbia within 180 days of hire.
The incumbent is responsible for managing the creation and implementation of a strategic approach for the Mayor and the District of Columbia to engage, empower, and improve the quality of life for Latino constituents while integrating the interests of all key stakeholders. This includes implementation of policy and programs which provide resources to ensure that full range health, education, employment and social services are made available to the Latino residents of the District of Columbia.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Operations shall:
- Work with the Director to execute agency functions including helping to oversee agency programs.
- Work with the Director to direct initiatives to analyze and optimize conflict resolution among Latino communities.
- Work with the Director to to collaborate with and organize the members of the Commission on Latino community Development to comment on legislation and policies that impact the Latino community.
- Lead research projects to better understand the major problems which confront the Latino community of the District of Columbia and report these problems to the Mayor.
- Work with the Director to build strong relationships with non-governmental Latino organizations and other government agencies to provide mutual support, collaborate on shared issues and interests, advise one another on more efficient and beneficial policies and practices, and assist in the creation of new agencies and organizations which benefit the Latino.
- Work with the Director to develop a strategic direction as it relates to the Mayor’s outreach and engagement with Latinos, Latino organizations, and Latino policy to ensure optimal long-term development and prime the Latino community for future leadership.
- Work with the Director to analyze the effects and efficiency of Latino programs and policies to ensure they are functioning as intended to provide maximum benefit to the Latino community.
- Assist other District functions with regards to policy issues involving Latino constituents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Qualified candidates should have 5-8 years of public policy, community organizing, stakeholder engagement, or legislative advocacy experience working with the Latino community in the District of Columbia. Must have a keen awareness of priority issues and develop strategies to address needs.
- In addition, the ideal candidate shall possess skill in communication and collaboration with other Latino organizations and government agencies to form effective partnerships. Candidates should be skilled in analyzing the effectiveness of policies and legislations, and also be able to develop creative approaches to communicate the goals of MOLA, and obtain necessary information. Candidates should possess experiences and knowledge needed to expand and enhance service delivery to Latino constituents of the District.
Please complete this application as well as upload a current resume and cover letter. Upon review of submissions, the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA) will contact candidates deemed the best fit for additional conversation.