Staff Assistant - Mayor's Office on Returning Citizens Affairs
Open Date: July 25, 2023
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: Excepted Service - Term ($67,382.97)
Current District of Columbia residents will receive priority and advanced preference for screening and interviews.
The Bowser Administration seeks an energetic and qualified candidate to serve as the Staff Assistant for the Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizens Affairs (MORCA) in the Executive Office of the Mayor. The mission of the Mayor's Office on Returning Citizens Affairs (MORCA) is to improve the quality of life of the District's Returning Citizen's residents by addressing a broad range of social and economic needs through strategic management of public and private partnerships, expertise on policy, community relations, civic engagement and community-based grants. NOTE: This is an Excepted Service position which requires residency in the District of Columbia within 180 days of hire.
The purpose of this position is to serve as the principal liaison and confidential personal assistant to MORCA, performing program, analytical and administrative assignments that address management, administrative, analytical, coordination and communication matters on behalf of the MORCA’s Executive Director and Director of Operation.
- Work directly with senior leadership to provide operational and logistical support.
- Draft, review and send communications on behalf of company executive(s)
- Organize and prepare for meetings, including gathering documents and attending to logistics of meetings.
- Provide administrative support such as but not limited to scheduling meetings, taking meeting notes, and ordering office supplies.
- Answer and respond to phone calls, communicate messages and information to the executive team at MORCA.
- Prepare communications, such as memos, emails, reports, and other correspondence.
- Read and analyze incoming memos, letters, and reports to determine their significance and distribute appropriately.
- Prioritize emails and respond when necessary.
- Coordinate travel arrangements
- Serve as the key person engaging with clients, residents and stakeholders answering incoming communications, including phones, email and visiting guests on behalf of the Executive Director and Director of Operation.
- Create and maintain project information in project management system; create statement of work (SOP), purchase orders and track orders in their respective data systems.
- Coordinate invoices and monitor payments to subcontractors and vendors.
- Write and edit documents from letters to reports and instructional documents for the Executive Director and Director of Operations.
- Assist in preparing various reports and maintaining agency website, newsletter and social media accounts.
- Manage office documents for supervisor's use in preparing correspondence, meetings, reports, and other events.
- Monitor level of supplies and handle shortages
- Resolve office-related malfunctions and respond to requests or issues.
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure compliance with established policies set by the Mayor, DCHR(MOTA),MORCA, DMPSJ and MORCA senior leadership .
- Perform receptionist duties when needed.
- Manage information systems and databases to track documents, processes and appointments.
- Provide administrative support to the team on special events and other projects, and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Time-management skills
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Organization skills
- Ability to multitask.
- Basic understanding of frequently used computer software and programs, such as Microsoft Office
- Interpersonal skills
There is a legal requirement that each new appointee to the Excepted and Executive Service either: (1) be domiciled in the District of Columbia at the time of appointment; or (2) establish District domicile within one hundred eighty (180) days of appointment. The law also requires that Excepted and Executive Service employees maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment. Failure to maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment will result in forfeiture of employment.
To be considered for the position, please answer the required questions and attach required credentials, including resume.