Community Outreach Specialist (Bilingual) - Mayor's Office on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Mayor’s Office of Asian Pacific Islander Affairs
COMMUNITY OUTREACH SPECIALIST (Bilingual)
Open Date: October 12, 2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
SALARY RANGE/GRADE: Career Service, CS 11, Step 1 ($62,751)
COVID-19 Vaccination: All employees of the District of Columbia must be vaccinated against the Coronavirus disease 2019 (SARS-CoV-2) as a condition of employment.
Current District of Columbia residents will receive priority and advanced preference for screening and interviews.
3 separate positions -
- 1 Bilingual in Vietnamese
- 1 bilingual in Korean
- 1 bilingual in Chinese
MAYOR'S OFFICE OF ASIAN PACIFIC ISLANDER AFFAIRS (MOAPIA)
The Bowser Administration seeks an energetic and qualified candidate to serve as the Community Outreach Specialist (Bilingual - Vietnamese, Chinese, or Korean) of Mayor’s Office of Asian Pacific Islander Affairs (MOAPIA) in the Executive Office of the Mayor. The mission of the Mayor’s Office of Asian Pacific Islander Affairs (MOAPIA) is to improve the quality of life for District Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders through advocacy and engagement. MOAPIA advises the Mayor, the Council, and District agencies on the views, needs, and concerns of the AAPI community. MOAPIA provides recommendations on District programs and initiatives affecting the AAPI community, and helps coordinate programs and initiatives within the government that promote the overall welfare of the AAPI community.
The incumbent is responsible for the implementation of a strategic approach for the Mayor and the District of Columbia to engage, empower, and improve the quality of life of the AAPI community while integrating the interests of all key stakeholders. This includes implementation of policy and programs which provide resources to ensure that full range health, education, employment and social services are made available to the AAPI community of the District of Columbia.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Community Outreach Specialist shall:
- Conduct community outreach activities (e.g. door-to-door visits, workshops, meetings) to the District’s Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community;
- Assist in planning the development and communication of information designed for target community and will assist with translating materials and interpretation;
- Lead research projects to better understand the major problems which confront the AAPI community of the District of Columbia and report these problems to the Mayor.
- Build strong relationships with non-governmental AAPI organizations and other government agencies to provide mutual support, collaborate on shared issues and interests, advise one another on more efficient and beneficial policies and practices, and assist in the creation of new agencies and organizations which benefit the AAPI community;
- Travel throughout the District to meet with residents, businesses and community groups;
- Provide administrative and program support.
- Fluency (both writing and speaking) in English and one of the languages mentioned (Chinese, Korean or Vietnamese).
- Experience in outreach, marketing, or publicity;
- Ability to work independently;
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook;
- A Bachelors degree is preferred or 5 years of related experience in lieu of degree; Team player;
- Ability to meet deadlines within a team environment; willing to work on evenings and weekends on as needed basis; has permit to work in the United States if needed.
Please complete this application as well as upload a current resume and cover letter. Upon review of submissions, the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA) will contact candidates deemed the best fit for additional conversation.
NO additional calls or emails please.